Robert Kuok still Malaysia’s richest man
Hong Kong-based Robert Kuok has maintained his position as Malaysia’s richest man with a wealth of RM45.7bil, despite an 8% drop in his fortune.
IOI Corporation Bhd‘s Tan Sri Lee Shin Cheng maintained fourth spot while the richest Bumiputera entrepreneur in the country is Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Albukhary who came in fifth, according to Malaysian Business in a report on the 40 richest Malaysians.
Malaysian Business said the wealth of the top 40 richest Malaysians was based on the value of their stake in listed companies as at Jan 20, 2012.
Ananda narrowed the gap with Kuok with a wealth of RM42.99bil, but it was down by about 6 per cent this year, from 2011.
Teh had a fortune that has remained relatively intact at RM12.64 bil, a one per cent decline from before.
Despite a 10.8 percent fall in his worth to RM11.36 bil, IOI Corp‘s Lee Shin Cheng maintained his fourth position while Syed Mokhtar of the Albukhary Foundation whose flagship is the DRB-Hicom Group saw his wealth grow by 8 percent to RM9.53bil.
The publication said that the combined wealth of Malaysia’s 40 richest individuals declined this year as the global credit crisis and weak equity markets took a toll on them.
Malaysia’s 40 richest were collectively worth RM193.2bil as at Jan 20, a decline of 7.0 percent compared with RM206.37bil a year ago, said Malaysian Business in its Feb 16th issue.
On the bright side, there were 30 billionaires this year – three more than in 2011.
Hong Leong Malaysia’s Tan Sri Quek Leng Chan, unchanged at number six, is valued 25 percent less at RM8bil.
His mother Puan Sri Lee Kim Hua, returns to the number eight spot with a fortune estimated at RM6.58bil, down by some 11 percent.
Tiong’s wealth is estimated at RM6.41bil while Ong’s soared by 23 percent to RM4.92bil.
There were three newcomers to the list, including Datuk AK Nathan ofEversendai Corporation Bhd and Ngau Boon Keat of Dialog Group Bhd, who made it for the first time while Datuk Abdul Hamed Sepawi of Ta Ann Holdings Bhd returned after a lapse of four years.
The full list of the 40 tycoons and details of their wealth appears in the magazine. It also presents a list of the 10 richest tycoons on the ACE Market.
Below is the complete list Top 20 Richest Malaysians 2012 (Wealth in RM as at Jan 20, 2012):
- Robert Kuok Hock Nien 45,700.00 Kerry Group/KuokGroup
- T Ananda Krishnan 42,998.00 Usaha Tegas
- Tan Sri Teh Hong Piow 12,642.01 Public Bank
- Tan Sri Lee Shin Cheng 11,356.55 IOI Group
- Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Albukhary9,530.00Albukhary Foundation
- Tan Sri Quek Leng Chan 8,002.92 Hong Leong Malaysia
- Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay 7,585.07 Genting Group
- Puan Sri Lee Kim Hua 6,588.33 Genting Group
- Tan Sri Tiong Hiew King 6,411.46 Rimbunan Hijau
- Ong Beng Seng 4,919.56 Hotel Properties Ltd
- Tan Sri Azman Hashim 3,470.00 Arab-Malaysian Corp
- Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun2,541.74 Berjaya Group
- Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir 1,937.27 Kencana Petroleum
- Datuk Lee Yeow Chor 1,787.85 IOI Group
- Tan Sri Tony Fernandes 1,772.42 AirAsia
- Lee Yeow Seng 1,746.00 IOI Group
- Tan Sri Lau Cho Kun 1,721.64 Hap Seng Consolidated
- Tan Sri Yeoh Tiong Lay1,711.84 YTL Group
- Tan Sri Lee Oi Hian 1,589.97 Batu Kawan
- Datuk Lee Hau Hian 1,586.18 Batu Kawan